Hornscroft Park is one of Bolsover's 'Town Jewels' located on the edge of the Town Centre. The park land was gifted to the Town in 1921 by the Duchess of Portland and in 1937 was set out as a National Fitness Park, complete with Tennis Court, Bowling Green, Chess Board, Children's Play Area and planted flower beds. One park boundary contains the Castle Entrenchments but during the 1990 the Park fell into dereliction and by 2004 the bowling green, Tennis Courts and Chess Pieces had all disappeared and the Park was in need of a much needed revamp. 2008 saw the start of the Park's renaissance, with a new younger children's play area and in 2010 came the spider's web climbing wall, multigame area and older children's play equipment.
With the valuable help of the Friends of Bolsover Parks, the former bowling green area has been transformed into "the Bowl". The Park also plays host to the Bolsover Gala, which takes place at the end of June each year and other community activities.